MISSDISH | Izzy Rael’s Rhubarb + Quinoa Porridge Recipe
DateAugust 23, 2016
16-year-old Izzy Rael, a participant in the VSCO Artist Initiative, is a New York City resident whose busy life includes school, practicing her trombone, and running her blog, Common Comfort. On her blog, she shares about life, food, and art that inspires her. She’s always seeking new mediums to create with, but cooking is a favorite that she returns to time and time again. “Because cooking revolves around so many senses (visual, olfactory, taste), it allows for a lot of experimentation,” says Izzy. She often takes unexpected flavors and pairs them together to create unique sensory experiences. This recipe is no different – pairing ingredients such as quinoa, rhubarb, ginger, orange, and even maple syrup! Try Izzy’s porridge. Your mouth will thank you.
What You Need:
1 cup white or red quinoa
1 cup water
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
3-4 stalks rhubarb
juice of an orange
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1 cup canned coconut milk
1 tablespoon maple syrup
Roughly chopped pistachios
What To Do:
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. Wash quinoa and rhubarb thoroughly. Cut off the ends of the rhubarb and chop into 1-inch pieces.
3. In a saucepan over high heat combine quinoa, water, almond milk and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and cover with a lid for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile in another saucepan, boil together coconut milk and maple syrup for 30 seconds. Let it simmer for 7 minutes. The milk should reduce to half and be able to coat the back of a spoon.
5. In a small bowl, combine rhubarb, orange juice, sugar, and ginger. Spread the coated rhubarb evenly over a pan and bake in the oven to roast for about 15 minutes or until the juices are syrupy.
6. To serve, spoon the quinoa into the bottom of bowl. Place the caramelized rhubarb on top of the quinoa and pour the coconut milk over. Sprinkle chopped pistachios. Eat.