MISSDISH | Broke and Cooking’s Quinoa Crusted Chicken Nuggets Recipe
One of my favorite "junk food" indulgences has always been chicken nuggets. The options out there aren't that healthy; most of them are deep-fried, and heavily breaded. Sometimes we don't even know if the nuggets are made of actual chicken! Chicken nuggets are easy to make at home, and with this recipe, I'll show you how you can replace extra breading with yummy quinoa!
Quinoa is actually a seed that is very high in protein, fiber, magnesium, iron, zinc, potassium, and more. It's also gluten free. Quinoa has a sweet, nutty flavor and is delicate in texture. In recent times, it's been known as a substitute, but quinoa is so versatile, it can easily be a main.
Making Quinoa Crusted Chicken Nuggets is as easy as a 3 step breading process and throwing them in the oven! They're baked, not fried. I love putting a twist on classic junk food by simplifying the ingredients and making them more straightforward. It's important to know what you're putting in your body, and these nuggets get a little superfood boost from quinoa while tasting as good as - if not better than - your favorite fast food joint. Let's get cooking!
What You Need:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2/3 cup flour (you can substitute wheat or almond flour if you like)
1 tsp salt + extra to taste
1/4 tsp pepper + extra to taste
3 eggs + 2 tbsp water
2 cups cooked quinoa (1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, 1 cup broth or water)
Optional: Garlic powder
What To Do:
1. Preheat the oven to 425 F and grease a baking sheet. This will help to keep the quinoa from sticking to the baking sheet.
2. Cook the quinoa. It's important to rinse raw quinoa before cooking. Rinse until the water runs clear.
3. In a pot, combine 1 cup broth or water and 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, and fluff with a fork after it's finished cooking. Allow the quinoa to completely cool.
4. You'll need 3 dishes for the breading process. In the first, whisk together 2/3 cup flour, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. I also like to add garlic powder.
5. In the second dish, whisk together eggs and 2 tbsp water. Season the egg mixture with salt and pepper.
6. The cooled quinoa goes into the last dish.
7. Chop the boneless skinless chicken breasts into 2-inch chunks and season with salt and pepper. You can also season the chicken with garlic powder or your favorite seasoning.
8. Dredge each chicken piece in the flour, then egg, and lastly in the quinoa. Place each nugget on the greased baking sheet.
11. Spray the chicken nuggets with cooking spray; this helps to get them nice and crispy!
12. Bake the nuggets for 15-20 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.
13. That's it! The quinoa crusted chicken nuggets turn out crisp on the outside and juicy and tender on the inside. Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce.
The fluffy texture of quinoa is really interesting as the breading for these nuggets, making this a great alternative for the fast food variety when you and your family is craving. You can even get the kids involved with the breading process.
Hope you all have a great week!