MISSDISH | Broke & Cooking’s Cranberry Jalapeño Cream Cheese Dip Recipe
I luuurvve cranberry sauce – it's one of my favorite things about holiday meals. I wanted to come up with a fun appetizer that involved these deliciously tangy berries. This dip is unexpectedly tasty. A blend of fresh cranberries, lemon juice, sugar, jalapeño, green onions, cumin, and cilantro is served over softened cream cheese... yes, a block of cream cheese! Honestly, what's better than a good dip? All you've gotta do is throw all the ingredients together, let it macerate a bit in the fridge, and pulse it in a blender. The result is a vibrant cranberry relish that is perfectly sweet, tangy, earthy, and with a slightly spicy kick. This dip is festive, flavorful, easy on the wallet, and perfect for potlucks. Let's get cooking!
What You Need:
12 oz fresh cranberries
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
4-5 green onions, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cumin
juice of 1 lemon
1/8 tsp salt
2 x 8 oz packages of cream cheese
Crackers for serving!
What To Do:
1) The cranberry relish needs to macerate for a few hours. As usual, the longer the better! 3-4 hours minimum is ideal. The cranberry relish is served over softened cream cheese, so take the cream cheese out of the fridge about 30 minutes before serving.
2) For the relish: wash and dry the fresh cranberries. Roughly chop or pulse the cranberries in a blender. The relish turns out best if you pulse it a bit in a blender, but in a pinch, you can definitely chop up the cranberries.
3) Wash, seed, and dice 1 jalapeño.
4) Mix together the cranberries, diced jalapeño, chopped cilantro, chopped green onion, juice of one lemon, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 cup sugar, and 1/8 tsp salt. Stir to make sure all the ingredients are incorporated, and throw it in a covered container in the fridge for a few hours to let it get all sexy.
5) After a few hours, the cranberries will have macerated, or softened by soaking in liquid. Stir it up a bit and give it a taste. Adjust to your liking, whether it be a bit more lemon juice or salt.
6) Serve over softened cream cheese with your favorite crackers.
I love how vibrant the cranberries are! This is a really nice dip to bring to any holiday party. The mix of the tangy berries and lemon juice are balanced out by the sugar. The jalapeño and herbs add a nice punch, and the cumin plays off the lemon and brings some nice nutty, earthiness to the relish. It's really delicious when spread with cream cheese over a crisp little cracker! Hope you're having a great holiday season! You can check out this and other #brokeandcooking recipes on the blog at brokeandcooking.com!